Hazmat Plus has highly skilled Environmental Scientists with significant experience in clandestine drug lab detection and environmental monitoring services.
The Clandestine meth-lab and drug lab decontamination processes are governed by the guidelines of the 2011 Clandestine Drug Laboratory Remediation Guidelines, as set by the Australian Crime Commission. Hazmat Plus can assist property owners who are concerned about someone in their family taking meth or ice (methamphetamine), before buying or renting a property, or if you are served with a prohibition notice by Council or the Police to remediate the premises affected by domestic drug labs.
A prohibition Notice served on a property owner under section 194 of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic), can be overwhelming. Our expert team are the best people to assist you to manage the entire process of remediation from the initial phase of assessment and Remedial Action Plan, through to the actual remediation and post site assessment/validation stages, helping to ensure your property is fit for re-occupation.
Our team aim to make the process as thorough and efficient as possible to minimise distress and ongoing losses by responding quickly and prioritising our high-quality experts to assess the site efficiently and promptly ensuring all processes observe the required guidelines including the remediation.
- Provision of highly skilled Environmental Scientist to investigate and provide a complete assessment of contamination to the required industry requirements stated within The Clandestine Drug Laboratory Remediation Guidelines (2011).
- Preparation of assessment and reporting on the level of contamination as determined by the level of testing undertaken, plus a step by step documentation of the required action through the provision of a Remediation Action Plan (RAP).
- Where contamination is present, provide relevant alerts and submissions for designated authorities.
- Arrange the remediation of affected property to meet set guidelines.
- Post remediation analysis and reporting.
- Post remediation site validation reporting and where required submission to relevant authorities.
Why Choose Hazmat Plus?
Hazmat Plus’ staff have over 50 years combined experience in conducting all environmental testing and monitoring for contamination in air, soil and water including asbestos, lead and clandestine drug lab contaminants. Our highly trained consultants will assist you to navigate your social and legislative responsibilities to protect your asset.
Hazmat Plus are Fully insured, with qualified, trained and licensed consultants who you can be confident to receive a complete analysis, correct advice and detailed recommendations to fix your environmental concerns.
What is a Clandestine Meth-lab & how toxic are they?
Clandestine drug labs have become an angering issue for property owners as widespread use has seen pop up labs appear more frequently in domestic dwellings across Australia. The substance Methamphetamine is a highly potent and addictive substance and includes many highly toxic and dangerous substances (precursors) that can affect the health, wellbeing and even cause severe internal damage to those who come in contact with them.
According to the Australian Crime Commission’s Illicit Drug Data Report, more than 740 clandestine laboratories were detected during 2013-14. The number of clandestine laboratories discovered nationally has increased by 95.2 percent over the last decade. The 744 laboratories identified during this reporting period represented the third highest number on record with Queensland accounting for the most significant proportion.
The highly toxic chemicals are known to affect health through the inhalation, ingestion and contact with skin. Toxicity from these chemicals can remain long after the lab has been shut down and cleared by law enforcement agencies. Health effects include lung damage, renal failure, seizures, eye damage, nose and throat inflictions and other skin and internal organ irritations. Environmental effects such as explosions, fires, corrosion and odours are also prevalent in clandestine meth-labs.
Due to the toxicity of the labs, the decontamination process needs to be completed diligently and by experienced professionals. The post remediation analysis is a critical step in ensuring the site is thoroughly decontaminated to minimise future risk.
What is the Clandestine meth-laboratory remediation process?
To help you understand the process required, we have set out the four phases of remediation for a Clandestine Laboratory.
Four phases of Clandestine Laboratory Site remediation:
- Trigger for assessment
- Preliminary evaluation and action
- Site assessment and remediation, and
Phase 1: When law enforcement agencies encounter Clandestine laboratories, attending officers must ensure a preliminary assessment is obtained to determine if any further remediation action is required.
Phase 2: Hazmat Plus expert environmental scientists can at this phase attend the premises and conduct the relevant testing and assessment and prescribe the appropriate action required to remediate the environment affected. It is at this stage that our expert scientists will ensure all work follows the strict Australia Clandestine Drug Laboratory Remediation Guidelines, and correctly analyse data and provide a detailed proposal for remediation.
Phase 3: If the investigation indicates that contamination is present Hazmat Plus will alert authority and issue the correct pollution control methodology against the affected property as set out in the guidelines.
Hazmat Plus will provide a full site assessment and investigation, including the reporting back of the laboratory analysis. With an expert data analysis ensuring correct data interpretation and ongoing compliance with the guidelines.
Hazmat Plus will provide a complete Remediation Action Plan (RAP) as required in the guidelines and liaise with the relevant authorities to authorise and initiate remediation.
Once the remediation is complete, and the site has returned to the original state, our expert environmental scientists will undergo post-remediation testing and submit a comprehensive site report confirming completion for a validated, safe return to premises.
Phase 4: The site validation report follows the final assessment and remediation. Here Hazmat Plus will prepare and submit (if required to be reviewed and accepted by the relevant authority) as needed.
Hazmat Plus Clandestine Testing Services
- One off test conducted by homeowner – $165 (including GST) – we provide the single-use sample swab, a quick “how to” guide, and a brief lab report detailing the result of the analysis of the swab sample. Ideal for situations where homeowners are looking to determine potential drug use by someone in their home and will assist in detection and intervention.
- Baseline detection testing conducted by one of our Environmental Scientists – $550 (including GST) – we provide a trained environmental scientist/occupational hygienist to inspect the property and to take up to 10 swabs based on our professional judgement of potential hotspots/areas of concern. We will have the samples analysed at an accredited professional laboratory, and a detailed report of our findings will be provided.
- Comprehensive detection testing to identify the extent of contamination and Remedial Action Plan – Price on Application – Multiple samples taken throughout the property by qualified environmental scientists/occupational hygienists. Air quality testing including for volatile organic compounds. We will have the samples analysed at an accredited professional laboratory, and a detailed report of our findings including the provision of a Remedial Action Plan will be provided.
- Remediation Validation Testing – price on application.
Hazmat Plus Services the entire eastern seaboard with Offices in Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Tamworth, Townsville and Dubbo.
For more information simply call us on 1300 797 441.